Thursday, November 15, 2012

Being Grateful - A Blog Circle


A sweet boy, a long time ago.

Hello! My normal posts are about my crafts, but today I am part of a Blog Circle - a circle of amazing women bloggers who are doing incredible things with their talents. I hope you will take few minutes to follow the links through this circle.

This month’s theme, fittingly, is gratitude. I’ve been thinking about what words of wisdom I could come up with and have realized as of late that there is so much I overlook in the course of daily life. As I try to balance working outside the home, keeping our family running, laundry, dishes, etc. I often find myself feeling annoyed when I don’t get into my sewing room and when I go a week or two between blog posts. As most moms will attest, our needs/wants are often last, last, last on the ever-growing family list.

Last night I went home determined to create something great for this post, finish up some purses for a craft fair I am doing this weekend and get all of the household chores squared away. Then, in the midst of all my “to-do thoughts” my little girl asked me if I would snuggle with her. She is three and at the moment had wild hair and was sporting one of her collection of sparkly dress-ups with an over-sized pair of cowboy boots she calls “high heels.”

For a moment I felt the familiar tug of war inside my head…then the heart took over. Who says no to that? So we snuggled and got reacquainted after our day apart, then her brother (the BIG KID) snuggled up too. He is closing in on ten and I know my future snuggles are numbered, but, for now, it is still okay.

I decided then and there to forget everything else. The crafting, blogging, certainly the laundry! It was so nice to just “be.” All the to-do’s will get done in their own time or get re-prioritized but I won’t ever get these years back… and so many of them have passed already.

I keep a quote on my refrigerator that says “With kids, the days are long but the years are short.” I don’t even know who said it, but boy does it ring true. I don’t have babies anymore and sooner than I want to believe there will be a teen in the house, but, today, right now I plan to soak it in. Make sure I am focused on what truly matters. I welcome the future and I plan to soak it in too…..but it can take its time. For my kids, for these sweet little reminders of what truly matters and for the foresight to do the things that will avoid regret later on I am ever GRATEFUL.

My BIG KID...

My snuggler...and future big kid...





















My Blog Circle Link: Juniper Goods
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Those are such wise words. Speaking as a Grandma, I KNOW that childhood is fleeting. The beauty is that memories can be made that stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, I would take those snuggles any day!!! See you next month on the blog circle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post tugs at my heart because my kids are almost grown. You are so wise to stop and just soak in all that snuggly goodness. Each season of life is so precious in its own way.
    I think it is awesome that you were still able to write this post. You must have superwoman energy! Really, though, it is so good to be reminded of what is truly important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You chose well! Those opportunities will not always be right there and 10 years from now, those are the moments you will remember. Gretchen Rubin of The Happiness Project book made that statement, "The days are long but the years are short". She actually has a short video about it, http://www.theyearsareshort.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree you chose well. They do grow up too quickly. Enjoy these years maybe sneaking in some time for yourself where you can. It's all about finding that delicate balance for ourselves as women and also with our children and family. Cute photos of your children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful moment, I can just imagine the joy you shared with your children! You sound like an incredible mom! Thank you for sharing your heartfelt sentiments with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post brought a tear to my eye Kelli. My children are now 21 & 22 and it seems like only yesterday we were snuggled up on the sofa too. Enjoy it while you can because they will remember it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last month was a bit packed and I didn't take the time to comment on everyone's posts in the circle, but I'm reading it all again today before we post the new one! I absolutely love that quote. My kids are 3 and 6 and you are right, they grow up so fast. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...